Re: Tuba for an 11-Year-Old

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BoomerSooner Guy on August 06, 2001 at 19:08:29:

In Reply to: Tuba for an 11-Year-Old posted by wcc3 on August 06, 2001 at 18:52:15:

"Furthermore, while she's a pretty big 11-year-old, she is still only 11 -- probably not big enough to pump a 4/4 horn well for several years yet"

Age won't have an affect on ability much. If she's big enough to hold a 4/4 and is comfortable with it, get it! Don't limit your options to only 3/4 size. I began on a large 4/4, and, in my opinion, I've only benefited from it greatly because I can properly hold one. Remember, this tuba will last a long time. There are several smaller 4/4 tubas, but once again, size should not be much of an issue. Whatever she enjoys and has a great sound and will be comfortable enough (while staying in your price range, of course) will work

"Any favorite instruments in this class? The Yamaha YBB-621 looks promising."

No.....no! Please, I'm asking you with all my heart, avoid a Yamaha. I had to play one of these pieces of trash last year and will have to for the next four years. A VMI or Miraphone, amongst others, are of equal price and much greater quality. Yamaha BBb's are extremely stuffy and you'll have a greater sound playing a garden hose than this. Talk to various pros on this issue (Charlie Krause of Tuba Store/Brook Mays, Matt Walters of Dillon, David Fedderly of Baltimore Brass). Try out as many as you can, if possible (I have difficulty on that since the dealers up here only sell Yammies) and which ever is best suited for her out of those (yes, there are MANY types) will work well.

Best of luck to you and your daughter!

Follow Ups: