Re: Re: Comments from an old tuba player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on August 06, 2001 at 18:30:18:

In Reply to: Re: Comments from an old tuba player posted by A college student... on August 06, 2001 at 18:04:53:

>Posted by A college student... on August 06, 2001 at 18:04:53:
>"Who cares who has what horn,"
Agreed.
"and who plays too loud?"
completely disagree. You're never going to get a job, keep a job, or please anyone except for egotistical and non-musical brass players by playing too loud.

"College student" - I probably haven't heard you play, so I don't know if you do play too loud or if your colleagues are using poor judgment. But, the final call should always be deferred to the conductor. If your conductors are pleased, great! I have played under conductors who want me to blow my lips out the end of the horn to the degree that I think I am playing way too loud. But, it's what the conductor wants, so I do it. Playing that same volume in a different orchestra may result in an icy stare from the conductor or even losing a job.

I usually try to play it somewhat safe until I'm being buried by the trombone section or the conductor asks me to bring it out. The idea is to try to please as many people as possible. That's the way you you make good music, and that's the way keep a job. I know a lot of tuba players who have a reputation going before them that they play too loud. Guess what - other people get called first. That's fine with me; hopefully I'll get more work that way.

Follow Ups: