Re: Comments from an old tuba player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 06, 2001 at 14:38:21:

In Reply to: Comments from an old tuba player posted by Bruce H on August 06, 2001 at 09:43:02:

With all due respect, I have to disagree on the notion that CC is a "passing fad". I own a CC as my only instrument because I am more comfortable with a CC tuba and feel that they tend to be a slight bit better in build and quality than their BBb counterparts. I however do not condescend to BBb players, because there are plenty of them out there who are doing their part of keeping music alive through volunteer bands, and who do it quite well I may add. But the movement to CC started many years ago with people like August Helleberg and Bill Bell. Yes, they did play BBb for many years, but they enjoyed the clarity of tone that removing two feet of tubing from a BBb can bring. However, I have played CC's that sound and feel like BBb's and BBb's that sound like CC's (Marzan piston horns come to mind). Don't judge us CC player's by the examples you see, heck if they played BBb they probably would still be doing the same thing. But you are correct in students not understanding the musicianship aspect of the instrument but as others have mentioned a lot of that comes with age. And finally, it does take at least two horns to win a job anymore, unless you are the best thing since sliced bread. Orchestra's are audtioning people who can vary their sound to better fit the musicality of the piece, i.e. play F/Eb on BASS tuba stuff and CC/BBb on CONTRABASS stuff. While I wont discuss the need for two contrabass tubas at this juncture, there becomes a need for both of them too in the top level professional work. Good workers aren't created by good tools, but they made good efficient workers with good tools. A better quality horn makes our job easier to keep our mind on the music at hand , to achieve the highest level available. That is why you see people playing CC's today, but a good BBb tupa is still a good tuba, and with the right person, a great tool for expression.
Matt G
(Hey I'm only 26)

Follow Ups: