Re: Re: Re: Re: noisy miraphone valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on August 06, 2001 at 09:51:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: noisy miraphone valves posted by Joe S. on August 05, 2001 at 17:56:03:

Joe, you lost me there:

" In addition, those shimmed bearings would wear again twice as fast (as noticed at the next trip to the repair shop) because they then had four, rather than two, bearing surfaces"

It seems to me that each surface would now have HALF the wear, because the wear would be proportional to the displacement of each surface during a rotor movement, which in turn would be proportional to the coefficient of friction between any two surfaces. So the overall wear would be the same.

It seems to me if this were not true, then one could put the oil cartels out of business with a simple machine. Since frictional heat is proportional to the wear (assuming like coefficients of friction), one could make a negative-entropy machine by simply stacking a million or so of these shim washers on a valve rotor. Depressing a valve paddle would then generate sufficient heat to fry an egg.

I can see that wear might be faster if the shims were rougher or if they were made of a softer material.

Follow Ups: