Re: Re: Uses for a small F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 05, 2001 at 22:34:02:

In Reply to: Re: Uses for a small F posted by Sam Gnagey on August 05, 2001 at 21:03:08:

That's a very good point about Also Sprach. We just did this piece a few months ago and I used my Willson Eb on the first part as an experiment. I was really pleased with the pairing of the Eb and John Olah on his Rudy 3/4 CC. I think the Willson is a really good choice for this work because it fits the range of the first part nicely and you have the freedom to crank sound or not, depending on the mood of you or the conductor. Also, using an Eb & 4/4-ish CC pairing gives a leaner sound, which also fits the piece well in my opinion. This setup doesn't take advantage of the larger difference in the equipment you suggested but, if both players know their stuff, it can be very flexible in giving what you might want. I also like the Eb for the Franck D Minor Symphony for very similar reasons.

Ironically, I find myself using my small Cerveny Eb more and more. We're doing Elijah next season and I'm already getting it ready. Also, I'm really enjoying working on the Strauss and Mozart horn concertos on this tuba. Wow, what a singing sound it has! After my experiences this past season in the orchestra with the Willson, I'll be experimenting more in the future with some smaller equipment on those borderline pieces. Besides, it's so much easier on the back to lug around that Eb than some York copy. ;-)

My opinion for what it's worth..

Follow Ups: