Re: bigger sound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on August 05, 2001 at 22:18:04:

In Reply to: bigger sound posted by Tracy H on August 05, 2001 at 14:04:56:

What do you mean exactly by "bigger sound?" Unfortunately most people relate big sound to mean loud, but I do not. One can have a big sound and still play piano (volume not the instrument!).

Everyone so far has really talked about air. and that is a big part of it, but there is more. Of course I can not say without hearing your sound to begin with, but think of the syllable TOH or TAWH when you play. Keep the oral cavity (your mouth) open and throat relaxed. Many students I have had for lessons in the past come in and they have a small pinched kind of sound, from too much mouthpiece pressure on the lip (or embouchure)or a closed mouth and throat. Relaxation is the key. There should be no tension or restriction of any kind. Take a nice full breath and let the air flow out naturally. Don't try to hold it back or push it harder. Let your body's natural breathing mechanisms do the work for you.

Long tones and lip slurs are boring but they will make a big differnce. (After you do them about 500 times! of course.) No one like to admit that but it is the truth. It takes time.
good luck and keep working at it. I like the comment above (below) about listening to others and trying to emulate that sound also. A good concept of tone is imperative. You can't get a good sound if you do not know what one sounds like!

ken k

Follow Ups: