Re: bigger sound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on August 05, 2001 at 19:18:11:

In Reply to: bigger sound posted by Tracy H on August 05, 2001 at 14:04:56:

Tracy,
AIR and BREATHING! I just recently, (and am still) battling this issue. For me, the breathing and air usage has made all the difference. Someone mentioned the breathing toys. They really work! If you ever get a chance to see a professional tuba teacher / player give a masterclass, the pros will often pull out the breathing bag for the person "up front" to take breaths before they play. A majority of the time, there is always a huge difference. Consistency with this exercise works.
I also use what is called a sound level meter. My teacher promised me that if I did this every day, that it would help. It did, and it does! If you are serious about going into music, you might want to invest in one of these machines. (You can get them at Radio Shack... I think they run around $30- $40. I think they are well worth it... so if you are looking for a gift to ask for...) This device monitors your sound output, and if you pay attention, you'll get used to the feeling of making a "bigger sound." I think it's never too soon to start, and it seems as females we (because of natural size disadvantages) need to work even harder.
Finally, exercise has been another big thing in helping me. I think you are in marching band now, so don't underestimate the exercise you get from participation in that activity. Running and swimming have been good exercise for me, but I am an old grad student that sits in practice rooms and class all day (:
If you have any questions about what I mentioned, feel free to email.

Follow Ups: