Re: Re: Re: Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Marcus on August 03, 2001 at 07:51:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument? posted by Devin on August 02, 2001 at 22:30:56:

Over $1,000,000 was recently paid for the white Steinway piano on which John Lennon composed "Imagine."

Today, Steinway maintains factories in New York City (Queens) and Hamburg, Germany. Most of the models produced are identical, but each factory builds a few models that the other doesn't. The scale designs are essentially the same, but there are some minor differences that spark discussions among musicians in which they claim that, "The New York Steinways are best" or "The Hamburg Steinways are best." New York Steinways are generally distributed to the Americas, while Hamburg Steinways are generally shipped to Asian and European dealers.

Devin's figures for Hamburg Steinways are accurate if one wishes to order one for shipment to the US. New York Steinway grand pianos sell in the US for approximately $35,000-$86,000 depending upon size, finish, etc.

Although I love playing tuba, my primary source of income is as Director of Sales for the Steinway dealership in the Chicago area. (You'll often find me practicing tuba at the store before opening time.) Please contact me if you'd like more information.

Follow Ups: