Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Rabinowitz on August 02, 2001 at 18:32:08:

In Reply to: Why tuba and not some other instrument? posted by Les Smith on August 02, 2001 at 16:40:25:

I have a wierd story, I played clarinet in 4th grade and when I got to High school I wanted to play in the jazz band, the director said there was no need for a clarinet in his jazz band so why not take trombone, he neede a fourth. I played the clarinet in concert band and the trombone in jazz band. Of course my freshman year I played football so marching band was out, then my sophmore year in High I decided that marching band would be more fun than being the big guy on the team that didn't get to play (so I was a dork)!!! I decided that clarinet was good for concert band, trombone was cool for jazz band, but what to play in marching band. I asked to play trumpet and the director said he wouldn't teach me another instrument unless I mastered one of the other two. I told him that everything was good and I was playing fine, but you can't fool a band director when they hear you play everyday. I argued with him for ten minutes and he finaly said "listen, if you wanna learn a new instrument the only one I will teach you is the TUBA!!!" Then I argued with him for another 25 minutes and he wouldn't give in. So the period ended and I surrendered and said why the hell not??? no I am on scholarship and graduate assisstantships and I still play horribly, well, I try, nobody is perfect you know!!!

Follow Ups: