Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Swensen on August 02, 2001 at 17:32:14:

In Reply to: Why tuba and not some other instrument? posted by Les Smith on August 02, 2001 at 16:40:25:

I started with trumpet in fifth grade and played first chair throughout high school. (At the time, I had always admired the tuba sound, and remember watching Floyd Cooley play Mahler's first symphony from about 20 feet away in a high-school auditorium, thinking it was a very cool-looking instrument, but I was, already, playing my third trumpet and had invested many hours in trumpet lessons.) After high school I started playing a lot of Bach (B-minor Mass, Brandenburg, etc.) and some jazz, but stopped playing in grad school, due to time constraints and a lack of accessible practice space.

Twenty years later, with no chops, it hurt when I tried to play trumpet, so I gave tuba a try for six months, figuring that, at least, my breathing would be in great shape if I went back to trumpet. I loved the tuba, sold all my trumpets, and started buying tubas. The only time I miss playing trumpet is when I hear Bach and Handel.

Follow Ups: