Re: The Current State of Jazz Tuba Playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on September 01, 2000 at 09:54:35:

In Reply to: The Current State of Jazz Tuba Playing posted by MG on August 31, 2000 at 01:30:49:

If you know the label the recording is on, most record stores can order you the CD. For example I know Howard Johnson is on Verve, Some Sam P. is on Telarc others now on Summit. They can look it up in a catalog and get the CD # and order it. I went to the local Border's Books& CD store and ordered mine. They actually had the Howard Johnson CDs in their racks. The others may be harder to find. Any big store (Tower, Borders, etc)and perhaps some local "boutique" type stores can often find stuff for you. I've gotten alot of other brass CDs this way, not just jazz tuba. also find the catalogs mentioned above (below?). Walking Frog, Summit, Crystal recordings are just three that come to mind.

The problem is most of these guys are not in the "mainstream" of jazz and are recorded on small specialty or local labels and are not marketed throught the normal channels. As great as Sam, Dave, Marty, Joe et al play they are not breaking any new ground, other than doing it on tuba. Therefore, they do not get heard outside the tuba playing community. As long as the tuba stereotype is not broken in the ears of the general CD purchasing public, you will still have alot of groundbreaking to do.

I say, "Go For It! Its a dirty job but someone has to do it!"

ken k
ken k

Follow Ups: