Re: The Current State of Jazz Tuba Playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on August 31, 2000 at 06:48:31:

In Reply to: The Current State of Jazz Tuba Playing posted by MG on August 31, 2000 at 01:30:49:

Tubist are at a slight disadvantage when it comes to Jazz, mostly due to the fact that jazz ensembles don't use tubas. Trumpets, saxes and trombones are raised on Jazz in their juniour high and high school years. For a tubist to learn jazz it is pretty much "independent study". Most tubists who play Jazz (Sam Pilafian, Jim Self, Bob Stewart etc.) are all-around players. I can't name any big name tubists who are exclusively Jazz players (players who make their bread and butter off of jazz). Most are either classical tubists who enjoy Jazz as a hobby, or free lance recording artists. Then there is Howard Johnson who has probably made more money on sax then on tuba. On sax, trumpet and trombone, most jazz players are primarily jazz. I enjoy playing Jazz on the tuba (I occassionally have gone to the local Karaoke bar with my tuba and done some playing) and have often thought about how one would go about becoming an exclusively jazz tubist. I'm not sure, but I think to get a degree in Jazz Studies, one has to have a certain amount of Jazz Ensemble credits. If that is the case then doubling is pretty much necessary (probably trombone or Bass), And then in the improve classes you could use the tuba to sort of prove yourself. If you have an open minded Jazz Ensemble director you might even get to solo with the ensemble. I've also thought the trombone feature Tall Cotton would work good for tuba. Of course there are all kinds of jazz playing possibilities in the Dixie bands. Some of those dixie guys, like Red Lehr, can really play.

Follow Ups: