Re: St. petersburg vs Yamaha

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 25, 2000 at 09:27:48:

In Reply to: St. petersburg vs Yamaha posted by Marty Lipton on August 24, 2000 at 22:36:41:

Huh?

The Yamaha 641 is not my favorite instrument by a long shot, but many would find it a good deal better than a St. Pete. The Yammie is not as durable as a Miraphone or a Meinl-Weston, but it is more durable, it seems to me, than a St. Pete or even a Cerveny and its clones.

And some report that the 641 is a dream to play. Likewise the St. Pete. But everyone I've ever known personally who owned either one would have preferred a good Miraphone or a Meinl-Weston, or even a VMI.

It would seem to me that the trade you are considering is, at best, a lateral trade and, at worst, a disaster. Add some cash and get a used horn that you *know* you would rather have. You might be surprised at how little extra cash it would take--no more than it would take to get a St. Pete from the exclusive U.S. source.

If you could get a St. Pete without an importer's high markup, and you are willing to fix all the problems yourself, and you will take exceptional care of this delicate instrument, *and it plays just the way you want a horn to play*, then go for it. That's a lot of ifs.

Rick "would much rather have a good, used Miraphone than a new St. Pete, or a 641 for that matter" Denney

Follow Ups: