Re: Besson BE794 10 (Lacquer) Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 24, 2000 at 15:56:08:

In Reply to: Besson BE794 10 (Lacquer) Tuba posted by Dave on August 23, 2000 at 21:04:56:

Tried this instrument through a hunt for a BBb bass a bit over a year ago.

I have no idea of the pricing in the US. Pricing is a factor of this model, which is clearly intended for players at a non-pro level.

Fot such a large instrument it is relatively light. If you are a young player mostly playing in band, then it could very well be the right model for you.

If you want an instrument for more solistic use, then the 794 could likewise be a disappointment for you.

The 6th partial notes are sharp. The Eb even very much so. That note also suffers from a too strong resonance. (I have written about that phenomenon in the thread "Sovereign or Yamaha" lower down the board. Remind that this thread is about Eb tubas).

The corresponding compensating Besson 994 was very much into my considerations. But I found it a bit restricting despite its many fine qualities. I ended up with a used York Master. Despite its badly beaten-up appearance I have not regretted my choice.

If you could find an old US 4 valve tuba with reasonable valve tightness, then you might be better off.

Klaus

Follow Ups: