Re: King-UMI Model 2341Four-Valve Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fran Rosenau on August 24, 2000 at 01:10:06:

In Reply to: King-UMI Model 2341Four-Valve Tubas posted by Jim on August 22, 2000 at 21:53:18:

I have played a King 1241 (predecessor to the 2341) for years. which I have modified to almost to a 2341. I have received a LOT of compliments on the sound I get out of it. It is a good small bore (.687) 4/4 horn, but I agree it has it's limitations.
Hard to get a good low-low pedal C out of it or go higher than F above the staff, and you cannot tune the 4th valve slide while playing. I have both the 19" upright and 22" recording bell, but have not used the recording bell for years. The first valve slide is a little short, so I had a an adjustable stop put on it so as not to pull the slide out of the tube at the wrong moment. The double hard cases are a pain in the but, so I use a gig bag almost all the time.
I use a Conn Helleburg mouthpiece for large ensembles and a 7B for quintets and such.
I think it is a good all around horn and works very well for me. And a lot cheaper than having a large bore 5/4 horn for bands and an F for quintets.

Follow Ups: