Where to go for MET degree?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anon on August 23, 2000 at 12:10:30:

I've decided that my lifelong goal is to perform as a tubist but I'm not necesarily interested in getting a degree in performance. I would like to be more marketable than that. I've gone down the mus. ed. path and know for a fact that that is not for me. I suppose I could get a degree in comp. or history but those don't hold my interests as well. The school I've been attending has a great Music Engineering Technology degree that really looks interesting to me. I would get to take a few physics and math courses on the side along with lots of hands on experience manipulating sounds and working with electronics. At the same time I would still get the basic theory, history and a little comp. The program here doesn't put much emphasis on playing an instrument more than the first two years but I'm the sort that would take lessons and practice regardless.

As much as I think I would like to do this I have a few reservations:
1)Would a masters program accept this type of undergrad work as appropriate preparation for a masters in performance? (I don't see why not.. it covers all the bases.)
2)The studio at this university no longer challenges me and I would really like to move on to a different environment that is more accademically stimulating.
3)I'm beginning to feel that the teacher has run out of things to say to me.

Which leads me to:
4)Where are other good MET programs that are also connected to a good tuba studio with a teacher with a solid reputation?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Follow Ups: