Re: Pitch

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on August 20, 2000 at 13:32:39:

In Reply to: Pitch posted by Dave on August 18, 2000 at 22:03:41:

The manufacturer probably doesn't really know what they mean't. Often, people in these companies who do NOT work on the production side write up these descriptions.

Based on reality, I personally only play "down" to A=440 when practicing at home, and when I perform with the finest brass musicians in town. The pitch tends to creep higher when I do gigs with "second stringers" (university teachers, part-time pro's, etc.), and when I am hired as a "ringer" for amateur ensembles the pitch, besides being all over the place, is usually consensually sharper than my main tuning slide will accomodate.

A good, usable main tuning slide will play "down" to A=439 (for those times when perhaps you left your tuba in the trunk of your car, it got quite warm, and you are walking in to a gig "almost" late - This gives you enough "room" to PULL OUT until the instrument cools down.) and "up" to A=443. Again, most of the time when the consensus pitch is ABOVE A=443, it is all out of tune anyway, in my experience.

Follow Ups: