Re: Should I *gasp* buy my OWN Sousaphone?!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on August 18, 2000 at 11:17:01:

In Reply to: Should I *gasp* buy my OWN Sousaphone?! posted by Alex on August 17, 2000 at 23:45:27:

What does "not in very good shape" mean? Dents in the body? Joints falling apart? Braces rattling? Valves sticking?

If the horn plays okay, I'd say just play the one you got, no matter what. If it plays badly, and marching band is a big deal to you, it might be worthwhile to buy one. As you have been told, once you get to college, if they have a marching band they'll have good sousaphones. So if you buy used, and take care of it, you should be able to recoup your money, minus shipping. You'll lose the USE of that money, and you do risk losing it if the horn gets damaged or stolen.

I'd like to make a comment, with all due respect (really) for those who say that providing a sousaphone PER SE is the responsibility of the taxpayer. I support my school's music program, with taxes and additional contributions. I believe in its importance. But be aware that in some school districts, money is VERY tight. In any district, the school has a finite sum of money, an amount determined by the voters. If they don't have enough to fund everything, they have to cut corners. I'd rather cut nothing, but if they HAVE to cut funding, would you rather they cut it on science or sousaphones? Even within the music program, would you rather your director spend his (probably meager) budget on repairing sousaphones or maintaining the concert tubas?

My biggest gripe with the way they have done marching band in most places is that the gate at the football games ALL goes to the team. Yes, they are the focal point, the reason the band, cheerleaders, etc. are there; but since those other groups ARE there, a lot more people come to the games. In our little town of Wylie, TX, the band boosters run the concessions and get the proceeds. Partly as a result of that, we have plenty of funding!

Good luck, and watch out for those wind gusts!

Joe B.

Follow Ups: