Re: Re: Does Anybody *Not* Like Yorkbrunners?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Objective Too on August 17, 2000 at 11:51:17:

In Reply to: Re: Does Anybody *Not* Like Yorkbrunners? posted by Matt G on August 16, 2000 at 12:19:51:

First, regarding price: the detroit dealer price list I've seen lists these horns within 50 bucks of each other. Sure, you "can get" the CSO copy horn from Walter for less than that list, if thats 4 grand less, then great. But why can't you get the Yorkbrunner direct from Hirsbrunner, and if so, shouldn't there be comparable savings?
Second, and most importantly, if you think you can easily shop direct (IMHO you can't)which factory is most accessable and most trustworthy? If you cannot answer this question with absolute confidence, then either get the info you need, or go to a distributor/retailer and chose your horn there!
Finally, a grand-orchestral tuba like a YB or Nirschl is a specialty instrument. They are not easy axes to wield day-to-day, proof of this is in the number of pros who own two (or more) - they HATE having to schlepp them around. They are usually NOT "it plays itself"-type horns, even though most big horns require you to relax and let the horn do the work.
I absolutely love my big tuba, but as a hobby-player, and with the knowledge I have today, I'd be hard-pressed to rationalize ownership of a B.A.T. if I DIDN'T already have one.

Follow Ups: