Re: Low range help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on August 15, 2000 at 21:37:28:

In Reply to: Low range help posted by Too ashamed to say.. on August 15, 2000 at 17:40:26:

I am the first one to say that no one is limited by their equipment, but you are. The low range on those horns is hard, but it can work. It isn't like a BAT, but it can be serviceable. The only to play low is to play low. Lots of songs, lots of scales, lots of time dedicated to the low range. One thing you can think about is turning your scales upside dow. Start at the top and work into the lower range. Relax and let the air do the work. Also, start playing 4 or 5 big fat quarter notes on each 1/2 step from BBb on down. It will be hard at first, but keep the arm moving, albeit slowly. Don't try to muscle the low notes at first, get the response and the sound will follow. Play in the low range ALOT. Good Luck, aspire for more and you will achieve plenty. Also start to develop the false tones below the EE. EEb is open, DD is 2, DDb is 1, CC is 12, and BB is 23. I teach my beginners these notes by having them "slide down" from their low BBb until they lock in the EEb and then slide down to the DD from BBb etc. Lee Stofer "owned" these notes on his three banger Conn to the point that they sounded as good a valved ones!!! It can be done. Sorry for the dissertation.

Follow Ups: