Re: Tonguing Fantastique

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 15, 2000 at 15:37:28:

In Reply to: Tonguing Fantastique posted by Scott C on August 15, 2000 at 10:05:39:

We're doing the Berlioz this coming season and I'm 90% certain that I'll be single tonguing it. In all the times I've played this piece, only once did I have to revert to a triple tongue and that was because the conductor went at a completely ridiculous clip. I mean after the first play through, everybody in the brass section started laughing when the piece ended, it was that absurd. Ironically, the conductor's tempo got progressively faster with each subsequent performance until the piece was nearly unrecognizable. Its a good point another poster made about being ready and able to be flexible. But usually, this part is slow enough that a good single tongue will do the trick.

By the way Rick Denney, you ALWAYS take the last three notes of "the run" up the octave. This was Berlioz's original scoring and was changed only when the part names were changed from Ophicleide to Tuba. How on earth they decided on just those three notes, I'll never know. Most players use a smaller horn on these parts anyway (this season I'll do the first part on my Willson Eb, John Olah will do the second part on his Rudy 3/4 CC) so the double high Bb lays just fine, especially when you goose it for the crescendo. Don't ya just love those ophicleide parts?!?!?

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: