Re: Re: Re: Re: DCI in Baltimore

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on August 15, 2000 at 09:42:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: DCI in Baltimore posted by Doug on August 14, 2000 at 22:01:29:

Some were 4 counts, yes -- like Cadets' "instant wedge" at the beginning of their show. The wavy block that followed was, essentially, a step-1 side-to-side drill. A couple years ago (97, I think), Cavaliers had a Spirograph-esque move that lasted about 32 counts, but was broken down into 4-count subsets.

You'll find that there are many more "sets" per show than is written on the page. Every spinning block, every file rotation, everything that can be broken down is broken down into smaller, checkpoint-like subsets. The last couple block moves of Blue Devils, when the rectangle turns into a parellelogram and flies to the front as a squarish block, involves at least two more subsets, and a bunch of tweaking of each one. There may already be 110 pages of drill (and my band was shocked when I wrote them 16 pages for one song!), but there are around 140-160 points to hit, with the number varying from one member to the next. Those subsets are all decided, taught, clarified, learned, and revised during the season.

Ah, the luxury of daily 8 hour rehearsals...

PS -- seeing how this thread is straying from directly tuba-related topics, email me if you want to talk about it further. Or call me, and I'll walk you through what I can see on the video... :-)

Follow Ups: