Re: VMI 3301 vs MIRAFONE 191

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David L. Allen on August 12, 2000 at 15:17:16:

In Reply to: VMI 3301 vs MIRAFONE 191 posted by Danny on August 12, 2000 at 10:19:22:

I finally got to A/B the two at the Texas Bandmasters Assc. meeting back at the end of July. I felt very comfortable with both instruments in my lap and I am 6'3. Piston vs. Rotor - well Ive never sided with one or the other as long as the valve was well made and provided a quick responce and both of these instruments provided a very nice responce. Price - I believe the Miraphone is about $500-1000 more than the VMI 3301. Each has a 5 valve conterpart and the price difference between the 4vlv and 5vlv are about the same between the two instruments. Sound - well you probably would just have to play them your self but personally I would describe the VMI sound as very large but focused with a lot of core (fundamental whatever you want to call it) and the Miraphone sound has more color or overtones to the sound. Both have a very relaxed blow to them (read open sound) but I felt like I had more control over the VMI. The Miraphone feels like a heavier instrument in my lap and blows as such meaning I felt the heaviness of the instrument as I played it. Intonation - I know from experience that the VMI are very consistant intonation wise and since they have the traditional B&S piston setup, you have easy access to slides 1-3-4 so B naturals and low E nat. are easy to tune by simply ficking the 4th valve slide (that you will have to sand down with 1500 grit sand paper to get to work super smooth). The Miraphone has a 4th valve access but it on the back of the horn which would make it rather annoying if I had to move back and forth moving 1st and 4th valve slides. Over all I feel both are temendous BBb tubas and I actually like both of them much better than the Willson BBb that I tested out at Charie Krause's new location in Dallas last weekend (but that is and entirely different post).

Just to throw in a little plug - I have a VMI 3301 4 valve BBb with a Reunion Blues gig bag for sale for $3800. The horn is in pristine condition. E-mail me directly for details.

Follow Ups: