Re: Lost art form or evolution?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MG on August 11, 2000 at 19:49:58:

In Reply to: Lost art form or evolution? posted by Dan on August 11, 2000 at 11:43:10:

I started to think about this a lot after I started to learn more about the instrument
and that it comes in all of these different specialized forms. I am about to start college
as a performance major, and personally, I don't plan to use anything but my BBb until
either I am ordered to (by a teacher, or a specification in the part, as Mr. Johnson mentioned) or, as Rick said, if it is a talent issue (if that happens, I may
want to reconsider my career choice altogether). I remember the first time I heard that a CC makes playing in sharp keys easier, I was turned off by the fact that someone good enough to win a professional orchestral job would need or want to switch horns just for
certain pieces. Besides, learning four different sets of fingerings can't possibly be any easier than learning 12 8-note progressions. I've played everything from duets to orchestral music to big band to jazz combos on my BBb and I haven't had any problems yet.
However, the most important part of music is self-expression and finding your own voice, and until we have robots playing instruments, no art forms will be lost.

Follow Ups: