Re: Re: Burnt out

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rubba-Dub-Dub, I've been in the same boat on August 09, 2000 at 23:52:07:

In Reply to: Re: Burnt out posted by ###### on August 06, 2000 at 18:52:30:

I recently left teaching High School after five short years. I was burned-out and most of it had to do with teaching instrumental music in grades 5-12 in three buildings, the tremendous amount of work (marching in drum corps,I used to love Marching Band & now I realize that all of my Undergrad Professors were right; Marching Band sucks!), and the really poor paycheck as a result of my hard work. It was nothing for me to spend 12-14 hours daily in my office or the Band Room just trying to get a poor Band program moving in the right direction. As an Undergrad, I knew that getting a Euphonium Undergraduate Performance degree was almost completely worthless.

After talking to a good friend, he encouraged me to obtain my Master's in Euphonium Performance. This has completely changed my outlook on things, however, when I am finished with this degree, I must either go back to public school (ouch!) or apply for a Doctoral Program, with the hopes of teaching collegiately, which *could be* a financial back step.

I've been encouraged, as hopefully you will, by the following quote: "As for all things we do in this life, no matter how hard we try, we can not escape what we are."

Or better yet; "Every new job is great for the first two months."

In your journey, I hope you find what you are looking for, whether it be in Music or not. No matter what you do, your love for music is within you. It may be dormant now, but it will not always be. I too long for a good-paying 7-3 job. For me, when I get home, I want that time for myself and my family. Being a professional musician does not fit that schedule unfortunately. Most teaching scenarios do not either. The more I type, the more depressed I get. Oh well, perhaps teaching Middle School is my answer!

Follow Ups: