Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Burnt out

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on August 09, 2000 at 22:02:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Burnt out posted by Me too on August 09, 2000 at 03:07:48:

That's the spirit, Me too, and others who have expressed similar sentiments in this thread. I too have been counting my blessings. My orchestra is one of those suburban things with about half a dozen pairs, some youth concerts and an occasional "event." One wants MORE. But the upside is that the personnel are increasingly full time free lancers who play a bunch of these orchestras, and hold Broadway shows. They are damn good, and the brass certainly are, so I am in excellent company. Likewise the conductor, has a great background, is genuinely talented and intelligent, and conducts for clarity of intention and honesty of expression. A "musician's conductor." He's also a really nice guy, but I suspect lack of BS factor has witheld him from the profession at large.

The downside is extremely conservative board leadership that fears even the most modest growth and enlargement of our vistas. And they exercise the most minutely painful control over repertoire, so that some of the maestro's best ideas are routinely shot down. Still he manages to blindside them once in a while with rare appearances of Bruckner, Mahler, and Nielsen. We've even done Vaughan Williams 6th.

Holding the line may even have an ironic upside. The board is hard assed and stubborn, but they are highly principled and ethical. We have not experienced the situations that have caused some correspondents to get - - - Burnt out.

Follow Ups: