audition tapes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SC on August 07, 2000 at 21:26:41:

I have been listening to audition tapes for a military band. Let me describe my disappointment.

1. F tuba playing is not a major part of the job. A tape should include f playing, but the bulk should be on a lower pitched horn.

2. The tapes should not include your last band performance, or an entire chamber work. I want to hear you, not your buddies.

3. On the sleeve of the tape, please don't cross out exerpts that didn't make your final cut.

4. When you put an exerpt on the tape, please make sure that you pay attention to the following:

RHYTHM
PITCH
INTONATION
ARTICULATION

5. Exerpts are welcomed on the audition tape. They can be Band or Orchestral. 1 or 2 exerpts from the same piece are desirable. (please don't include every lick, or the entire march with repeats) A variety of pieces are recommended. Those pieces included should be geared to your strengths.

6. The tape process should take time. The first time you hear yourself you may be disappointed. Please don't record yourself for the first time and send it in, especially if no one else has heard it.

7. An Example of a good tape:
1. Miestersinger
2. Fingals Cave/ Oberon/ Holst suite/ Hindemith Symphony/ Barnes Sym #3 opening
3. Solo of choice (Movement)
4. A March (Stars & Stripes, Barnum, Thunder and Blazes) (2 exerpts)
5. West Side Story/ Je te un bal (swing style)
6. Another solo of choice

Your best exerpts should be first. Leave us wanting to hear more....

If anyone has any suggestions please follow up

SC

Follow Ups: