Re: Re: Re: Re: adding a dependent fifth valve

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 07, 2000 at 21:18:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: adding a dependent fifth valve posted by Rick Denney on August 07, 2000 at 13:13:57:

About the only argument you can make for having a 5th valve of larger bore than the other valves is to help with the added resistance encountered when the 5th valve is used in its most common role. Mostly, the 5th valve is used in the low range, in combination with other valves. More valves pressed means more resistance. If you want to help balance the equation somewhat, you make those valves that tend to be used in combinations, like 3, 4, and 5, sequentially larger in bore. This will help equalize the resistances of notes across the horn if done correctly.

That said, I personally find very little advantage to this equalizing of resistance. Didn't sombody make a 7 valve tuba, one valve for every possible current valve combination, and it isn't being commercially produced yet. I don't even own a graduated bore type tuba and the ones I've played have been nothing special (no offense Joe!). As always, it comes down to a player's personal preference and a manufacturer's desire to find just the right angle to sell their tubas.

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: