Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Synthetic Oils

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 07, 2000 at 08:01:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Synthetic Oils posted by Doug K on August 06, 2000 at 20:53:27:

What you say may be true for a valve oil but I'm not looking for that. As I stated in my original post, I'm looking for a viscous synthetic lubricant (something that has a very low evaporation factor) for the top bearings of the 5th rotary valve on both my piston tubas. The BiNaK 495 sounds like great stuff but it also sounds like you're supposed to use it on all the parts of your horn, eliminating the need for multiple oils. It can't possibly have as low an evaporation factor as I'm looking for when you can also use it as a valve oil. Also, I'm reluctant to start mixing lubricant brands (see the website link Daryl Hickman posted earlier in this thread to MusiChem and their valve oil study) because even if they are both synthetic, the differences in formulas can cause problems in combination. I'm going to try the Hetman product first, assuming that their stuff would be formulated to be compatible across their product line. If that doesn't work out, I may look at the BiNaK 495 next but it concerns me that I might have to dump all the Hetman valve oil I already have just to use it. But thanks for the info!

Follow Ups: