Re: Re: Re: leadpipes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on August 04, 2000 at 19:48:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: leadpipes posted by Tom on August 04, 2000 at 07:24:30:

Pitched to A = 443 hz brings up some major questions. First I have to assume we are talking about using a competent player who seems to be "average" in pitch tendencies. Some people play sharp and some people play flat. So when that theoretical person play tests a horn, is A443 with the tuning slide in all the way? Are we talking about 68 degree day with a density altitude of whatever it is that is used in aviation to make comparisons on aircraft performance?
When I build a custom tuba, I like to see the tuning slide about .75 to 1.00" out when I play it to the A440 reference pitch on several days and at varying room temps. I reference to myself knowing I have also observed I play average to slightly flat when compared to most other good or better tubists. I'm also 5' 10" and fat. How average can you get? :-) A 443 with the tuning slide all the way in will work just fine for most people here in the USA. When Besson says A443 they infact mean with the slide all the way in. Bessons work for most people, still I've cut a few shorter for their owners.

Matt "Amatuer tubist, learning something new everyday as a repairman and salesman, principal tubist for some community band or orchestra no one has ever heard of, etc., etc., personally don't care for these title lines," Walters

Follow Ups: