Re: Repair question for Joe S. (or any1else)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on August 28, 1999 at 23:11:25:

In Reply to: Repair question for Joe S. (or any1else) posted by David L. Allen on August 28, 1999 at 22:25:04:

I would think that ANYTHING is better than a ruined spring. I am embarrassed to admit that, even though I have sold quite a few Willsons, I can't remember for certain whether the centers of the bottom caps on those euphoniums are raised or not. I am pretty sure that they are. If you can find a spring that has about the right number of turns, is about the same gauge, and has a large enough diameter to fit over the raised center of the bottom cap (if it doesn't, you will probably end up with a buzzing noise), it should be fine. I DO remember that one of my customers wanted VERY heavy springs on his Willson euphonium pistons, and I discovered that King sousa springs fit the bill for that (mighty heavy for most tastes, though).

The folks at the U.S. importer of Willson, D.E.G., are mighty nice. Their number is (800) 558-9416. I often speak to Peg or Mark. They will be glad to send you a Willson spring, or any other standard maintenance parts for those instruments.

Follow Ups: