Re: Info on BBb tubas for school

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 28, 1999 at 15:42:05:

In Reply to: Info on BBb tubas for school posted by Band Director w/ WAY too much money to spend on August 28, 1999 at 12:20:51:

Band Director,
I would suggest you look into the VMI 3301 that you made reference to in your query. Those tubas would be perfect for a high school situation, as they are sturdy reliable and play very well in tune. It also has the option of a fifth valve that would make it mre versatile than the other tubas mention, in terms of alternate fingering. I would steer clear of a rotary valve horn for a high school situation, because they require maintenence that if done by the students, if they are not careful, could be detremental. I think that a tuba much bigger than this, i.e. the Mirafone Kaiser, would be more than you need in a high school situation. I personally would advise against the St. Pete because if you have that much room in your budget why sacrifice. A St. Pete may be good for a $2K horn but it doesn't stack up well against a good mirafone or VMI, and in a few years you'll almost undoubtedly be having problems with the valves on a St. Pete because they are so poorly honed. As for the Sanders tubas, I believe they are made by someone like Cerveny or VMI, who doesn't trim them out quite as nice as thier own horns with nickel silver and some of the engraving and other stuff, kind of like the Mirafone S series that the Tuba Exchange offers.

Good Luck,
Matt G

Follow Ups: