Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adding a fifth valve

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on August 27, 1999 at 01:57:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adding a fifth valve posted by Jay Bertolet on August 25, 1999 at 22:43:50:

To add a fifth rotor in-line after the other four and have a decent mechanical advantage for the finger key, you would need to install (very do-able, by the way) a mechanism which is similar to that of a flute trill key mechanism. Rather than blah-blah-ing about that here and explaining what I mean, if you just have a flautist show you their trill key mechanisms (very long, but very mechanically efficient) and study how they work, you will understand how that could be applied to a fifth-rotor-inline-past-the-fourth-rotor reachable finger key with a decent mechanical advantage. I wouldn't recommend right-hand thumb operation for such a mechanism, but rather the old-style left-hand operation.

I am determined to finish "building" three "monstrosities" this year: an Eb helicon (York) HOPEFULLY with a detachable (unusual for a helicon) bell, aNOTHER 6/4 CC 4+1(Conn - If anyone remembers, I sold my Holton), and a "b-----d" 4/4 CC with a King bell, Reynolds body, and a Conn valveset. As I progress through these projects (instruments for mySELF - NOT for sale) would anyone be interested in having me post pics of the partially-completed "beasts" here on Tubenet? (Sort of a dis-junct "This Old Tuba" show, I guess, but withOUT Norm Abrams, nor the clarinet theme song)

Follow Ups: