Re: Performance vs. Education

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Call on August 26, 1999 at 17:23:03:

In Reply to: Performance vs. Education posted by John Visel on August 25, 1999 at 21:58:47:

Thank you for opening this fascinating and highly relevant dialogue.

I agree with what Harvey Phillips teaches in creating a "life in music" for oneself. Get a vivid idea about what kind of career you want in music, seeking realistic input about your potential from respected teachers and mentors.Be open to and educated about what all the possibilities are in the world of music. You may not have much of a chance at a full-time professional playing position because there simply are not many openings. You may, however, learn how to create for yourself a rewarding career as a part-time freelance performer-teacher. You may also branch out into one of many music-related fields and have a wonderful "life in music."

I believe that the best place to get started is at a University or Conservatory, studying with a teacher who is not only a fine performing artist and teacher, but one who will become a great role model and mentor. I also believe that a music education course of study is, for most students, the way to go. Get a music education degree, and achieve the highest personal standards as a performer.
You may read about some of my experiences in a chapter called "The Freelance Tubist" in the Tuba Source Book edited by Winston Morris and Ed Goldstien, published by Indiana University Press.

Steve Call
Brigham Young University

Follow Ups: