Re: stuffy Meinl Weston?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl Fletcher on August 22, 1999 at 21:48:59:

In Reply to: stuffy Meinl Weston? posted by Winton on August 22, 1999 at 05:43:03:

I have a Model 32 that I bought used about 12 years ago. I'd have to say that it's a pretty good horn over all. I have received positive comments over the years about how nice it sounds. One thing about it is, like you say, the low range is a bit quirky. If I'm playing in a large ensemble, the bottom end notes really don't cut through at all. I didn't know if I was the horn or just me, but I find it interesting that other people have had similar problems.

In my opinion, the 32 is a good quintet tuba. It can have a mellow "singing" quality in the medium and high ranges, so I've had good results with it as a solo horn.

The other quirky thing about mine is that it's so darn heavy. It's made of really thick brass, and it's built like a 1957 Cadillac. That's good because it has held up well over the years and probably helps darken the sound, but it sure isn't much fun to carry around. It's not a very large tuba, but it has to be one of the heaviest I have played. I wonder if the newer MW tubas are built like that.

I was told that my tuba was made in 1963. The serial number on mine is 1125. Does anyone know when the Model 32 was first marketed in the United States?

Follow Ups: