Re: Re: Tuba for my son...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Archie on August 20, 1999 at 12:45:01:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba for my son... posted by Ryan Rank on August 19, 1999 at 22:46:56:

If your son is thinking of playing tuba in college as a music major then I would suggest a good
CC tuba for your purchase. He will find himself wanting to sell his BBb in order to buy a CC.
As for the other post about CC vs. BBb in band and orchestra settings and the statement about
BBb being darker than a CC is completely off key. I play professional in a service band and I
play a CC Alexander and I have found few BBbs that have as dark and warm sound. Also I
have had many high school students of mine purchase CC tubas and it only takes a few days of
good practice to be able to sit in rehearsals without problems. I would look for a good used CC
instead of getting a new BBb. You will find the price of used CC tubas to be around your price
range. But if a new horn is what you want then you might look at the mirafone 186-cc 5 valve. I
believe that brasswinds sells a student model that is very inexpensive. BTW I once had a
student buy a used mirafone 186 CC 5 valve for $2500. You could look at the new Cerveny
CCs also. Good luck, Archie

Follow Ups: