Re: AGH,never thought of that/tuba cleaning?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee A. Stofer, Jr. on August 16, 1999 at 05:44:42:

In Reply to: AGH,never thought of that/tuba cleaning? posted by Antonio on August 13, 1999 at 23:21:36:

Antonio,
It was really entertaining to read the replies you have received so far. Years ago, I have actually washed my tuba at a coin-op car wash (250 PSI of hot, soapy water does the trick nicely), and when in high school, we used the large showers in the pool area of the athletic complex (it was warm in there year-round). However, the safest place for your horn is at a good instrument repair shop. They routinely clean lots of instruments, and can help you avoid the build-up of abrasive deposits in your valves that cause poor valve action and eventual loss of compression. For your silver finish, I'd recommend TarniShield if it is bright silver plated. If it is satin silver, clean the satin portions first with whiting or baking soda, applying with a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol. This will clean and restore the satin quality. Afterwards, you can protect the clean satin silver by spraying it with Hagerty's Silver polish (spray can), allow it to dry, and buff with a clean cloth. It will absolutely glow! Best of luck with your big horn.
-Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: