Re: Re: Ray Draper

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Lamb on August 12, 1999 at 11:28:15:

In Reply to: Re: Ray Draper posted by Dave on August 12, 1999 at 10:51:56:

First of all, let me say that in no way was I trying to blaphemize creativity or inventiveness. Perhaps I was listening and thinking about this album in the wrong mind set, the post by Richard Murrow (my former teacher) has made me want to go re-listen to the album from a different approach.

Secondly, I think that you are pointing fingers a little soon by saying, "It is people like you who make it tough for people to be creative and to be inventive." Do you know me? Have you ever had a conversation about creativity with me? If there is one thing I support in music, it is the birth of creative and inventive thought. I admit that I was premature in my judgment of the Ray Draper album, and my ignorance of the lack of jazz tuba role models clouded my opinion. I'm sorry if it offended anyone.

As far as laying it on the line goes:
I did a full solo recital last fall, and I have about 7 CDs of it left. Included on the disc are the Broughton Sonata, 3 Mahler Songs for Das Knaben Wunderhorn, Penderecki's Capriccio, and Wilder's Sonata No. 1. There are some things on it that I'm very proud of and some things that I know I need to work on, but if anyone would like a copy to openly critique, please e-mail me privately.

Follow Ups: