Paltalk/Yahoo IM for tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on April 30, 2003 at 13:07:47:

As a "spinoff" of Joe's idea, has anyone tried Paltalk or even Yahoo! Instant Messenger to play the tuba over the internet?

Joe says to have these clips posted, but I say to play them live. I myself after about two or three days of embouchure "elbow grease" could easily get up to Joe's minimum (I am not a regular player now-a-days). I think that this would be an interesting alternative for those who think that they can really PLAY. You would be in a jury or audition situation for the general public to critique, or you could set up a private room. The only problem may be the quality of the transmission especially if below T1/Broadband-DSL/Cable speeds. This would be much more real world and not a "taped" situation.

I think that many times us tuba players live in a vacuum. We are very small in number at our respective schools and usually know most of the local "pro" players. This usually distorts our reality of tuba playing. That is why those conferences are so helpful. On the other hand, I did most of my tuba playing development in Orlando while listening to guys like Chris Olka, Mike Roylance, Willie Clark, et al. That vacuum helped a little more than most, as I figured that everyone was supposed to be able to play just like these guys! What a wake up call when they land these great jobs!

Matt G

Follow Ups: