Re: Re: Re: Re: euph m/p search...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cale Self on April 30, 2003 at 08:14:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: euph m/p search... posted by 'fess'r on April 30, 2003 at 05:03:10:

I am saddened to hear of your lack of faith in the young student musician. I would like to encourage you to hear more ensembles and (not knowing where you reside) venture a little farther south than maybe you are. Out here in the dust bowl where I teach, amazing things are happening. Every morning when I go to work, there are students practicing in my band hall, some as early as 7:15, when school doesn't begin until 8:40. And the most wonderful part is when rehearsal actually begins. I get to watch, hear, and teach students (14-18) the Hindemith Symphony. And they play the music right off the page, and it's beautiful to witness. I suggest that young bands and orchestras that do not meet our standards of performance are just not held to those standards by their directors. I work with students of every size, shape, color, and socio-economic status, and because of the way they play, they're getting massive scholarship offers from the best schools in the country. It's such a wonderful time to be a music teacher.

I apologize for my post yesterday, which was just a little more than sarcastic in nature, as was your original. But the way I play, and the meticulous nature with which I approach the instrument, I want to learn as much as I can and educate myself to the smallest 400th of an inch(or whatever) so that I can be the best judge of the equipment I need to play at the highest level.

Lastly, and hopefully the last thing that any of us need to read on this "kicking the dead horse" subject, I encourage you (and all of you) if you're anywhere close to Texas this weekend, to stop by and listen to some of the Texas State Wind Ensemble Contest. It just might restore your faith in the young musician.

Cale (who loves playing and LOVES teaching) Self

Follow Ups: