Re: Eb in orchestral setting

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on April 26, 2003 at 23:16:33:

In Reply to: Eb in orchestral setting posted by Rob on April 25, 2003 at 13:34:11:

Eb's sometimes sound fuller than F's, but I'd be real cautious of moving ahead on that line alone. If you're doing auditions, you've got to have "Romeo & Julliet" down cold (Berlioz), and that's got some awfully high stuff in it, as I'm sure you know. That's to say nothing of "Bydlo"! As long as you can cover all that really high stuff with an Eb, then I guess you're alright. "Midsummer Nights Dream" (Mendelssohn) lays pretty well on an eefer, but it's not too terribly high either. Symphonie Fantastique works well on eefers too. But if you're using an eefer, you'll probably have to drag along a "Bydlo" horn as well unless you've got really great high chops. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk Berlioz's "R&J" on anything bigger than an F.

Also, don't forget that you often times have to prepare a solo work too. The Vaughan-Williams concerto is quite do-able on an Eb, but much it really lays better on an F. Good luck.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: