Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fort Worth

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on April 24, 2003 at 08:43:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fort Worth posted by Rick Denney on April 23, 2003 at 21:53:42:

I disagree that there is no way to bring up young players to play in major orchestras.

Young business graduates can be 'mentored' by someone in their chosen field or can go intern somewhere. Perhaps it's time orchestras took on some of the same roles that businesses have. If several orchestras were to set up mentoring programs, do you think a player or two might benefit? Had this been an option when I was coming through school I would most certainly have made an effort to be included.

I believe it would be more 'fair' to insist that the next player in an orchestra be one who came out of a mentoring or intern program than the way auditions are currently done. As auditions go now, some are fair and some are not. I suppose that will always happen to a certain extent since people are involved.

For we tuba players, there are just a few openings and dozens of very qualified applicants. My guess is that no less than 50% of the players in Ft. Worth were totally qualified to play the job. Some of them played great in the preliminaries and others didn't at that time.

Having been involved in the music industry for over a quarter of a century, the same discussions happen now as 25 years ago. The only difference is that the faces have changed. The young players can play higher and faster, but no more musical than their predecessors. Some of them are quite musical and others just play higher, louder, and faster.

The best most of us can do in the world of music is to simply decide to either enjoy it for what we make of it and quit complaining or to get out entirely.

Follow Ups: