Re: Starting over again...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Davis on April 21, 2003 at 18:20:26:

In Reply to: Starting over again... posted by Jeff on April 21, 2003 at 14:37:00:

Jeff,

Thanks for asking these questions. I'm in a similar position, I am coming back to playing after 24 years. The past week has been interesting, relearning things that used to be simple like lip slurs and good clean stacatto.

I do think that the Rubank books have alot to offer. I do not remember all of my scales, and they are helping me in that regard. I've also found some simple warmups on the net at:
http://astro.temple.edu/~swatson/pages/warmupscales/simple%20warmups%20PDFs/simple%20band%20warmup%20-%20Tba.pdf
These are pdf's that can be printed.

For range, I'm practicing old trampet solos that I've had for years. I used to transpose "Stairway to Heaven" on the fly as a warmup on the tuba. Of course after a while I simply memorized it. It always helped with range issues since it goes to the top of the bass cleff staff, but mainly stays between F and Bb. I found the sheet music and I'm back to transposing it on the fly.

Finally, thanks to everyone who took the time to answer Jeff's question, I think that those answers will be a big help to me as well.

Mike

Follow Ups: