Re: Re: Re: Miraphone 181?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Russ Dickman on April 21, 2003 at 15:13:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Miraphone 181? posted by Scott on April 21, 2003 at 11:25:59:

Scott is right about his 181. He was gracious enough to let me try the tuba out and I will say that it is a very nice instrument. It has a very nice sound and a great low range. I just personally felt that for the playing I do on F tuba that the 6th valve would be more benificial and I like the somewhat darker sound of the gold brass. It really comes down to personal preference. I sold my MW 45slp as it was uncomfortable for me to hold and play. It was a stretch for me to reach the mp and the valves got uncomfortable after a while as may hands are on the small size. The Miraphone is a much better fit for me. The Miraphone has a smaller compact sound than the Meinl Weston but it is actually a better contrast in sound to the CC I use. I am using the Miraphone 181 in the orchestra and in our brass quintet and it really works well in both settings. The low range of the 181 is very good and manageable but you have to work on it a bit as compared with the Yamaha 621/822 but I really enjoy the sound much more.(I owned a Yamaha 621F)

Scott's 181 would be a great horn for someone looking for a Miraphone F. I think the price he is asking is very fair. It is a great playing horn. Check it out a basscleffbrass classifieds.

Follow Ups: