Re: Re: Truth and/or Consequences?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Hipp on April 18, 2003 at 10:48:25:

In Reply to: Re: Truth and/or Consequences? posted by Bud on April 17, 2003 at 21:29:39:

Thank you for posting the article concerning the current crisis in San Antonio. I feel the need to make sure that everyone understands what is going on with the San Antonio Symphony so that there is no misinformation floating around.

The management and board of the San Antonio Symphony made the decision to discontinue performances beginning May 4 through the end of our season, June 7 in an attempt to stop the hemorrhaging of a deficit that continues to mount every season. I will not go into the reasons for this because it is one of those simple yet very complicated stories that would take up an enormous amount of time to explain.

As of today after a meeting yesterday with the chair of our board and our executive director, the musicians are expecting to be paid what is owed to us per our contract and all of our health benefits will continue to be covered as well. This was a decision the board made so as to not break the contract while at the same time enable the organization to save some money on performance related expenses. The San Antonio Symphony incurs $300,000 to $400,000 a year worth of expense just to operate in the Majestic Theatre. This is very high for an organization of our size and budget.

Needless to say there are still many questions to be answered and meetings to attend. The plan at this point is to discuss presenting next season and at the same time come up with solutions to the growing deficit. I would simply say that the musicians continue to seek ways to encourage management and board members to work with us towards better solutions and at least this time they did not find their solution by taking money from those who can least afford it.
-Lee

Follow Ups: