Re: Re: Euphonium Auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark F. on April 17, 2003 at 07:13:06:

In Reply to: Re: Euphonium Auditions posted by Alan Herold on April 16, 2003 at 20:36:43:

In Texas, you play three etudes that are picked by one person. usually, they are so easy that 75% of the players sound great on them, even in the first round. By the time you get to the area auditions. there are some pretty incredible high school players there. You go through 3 very tough elimination rounds, and you are left with 14 players that make up the two all-state bands. You not only have to be excellent to make it, you have to be a little lucky. And lets not even talk about how some regions are much tougher than others. becuase of the quality of bands and teaching in that area. For every player that makes all-state, there are probably 10 that play just as well, and could have made it if another judge had listened to them.

I get discouraged with the audition process here in Texas because I dont think they reward the best musicians. THey give you these three etudes at the end of July, and you have until December to work them up. I would rather see how a much shorter time to get them up, because I think that takes more talent. I would also like to see sightreading as part of the audition process, as there is none right now.

Follow Ups: