Eb Besson Tuba for sale ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Fischer on April 14, 2003 at 19:43:05:

Fellow Tubists,
I need to sell my 2 year old Besson Eb tuba (model 983) which is the horn that Patrick Sheridan helped design and uses exclusively. You can see and read about the horn at Pat Sheridan’s webpage - http://www.patricksheridan.com/index.cfm The bore is .689" with a 17" bell and takes a normal sized mouthpiece shank. It is a wonderful horn but I no longer do small ensemble work and want the bigger sound of a CC for the San Jose Wind Symphony and orchestral work. I have played the Eb in both of these venues for the last 2 years and it has a big enough sound and plenty of strong low range but just isn't the sound that I want for these groups. Nobody in the group even knew that I was playing an Eb and said it was a very big tuba sound. The horn is also great for quintet and small ensemble. If I could afford to keep both horns I would but ...
People are amazed at the great low register of this horn. I can play down to the pedal Bb (6 ledger lines down) with a big sound and can even get down to the Gb but the sound is getting a bit weak by that point. There are 4 valves on the right hand and it is a compensating system. The valves are very smooth and light. The low register intonation is great and I do not sense or hear any stuffiness as on some of the old compensating systems. The horn is 2 years old and very well cared for. There are a few small "dings" in the bow section. The finish is gold laquer. This horn sells for over $5000 new.
It includes the hard case which I've never used. The case is very light and has wheels and a handle at the end used to pull it. I want $4000 for the horn. Also note that the euro vs dollar rate is about 30% higher than 2 years ago so horns from Europe are costing considerably more these days.
Jay Fischer
San Jose, CA
(408) 323-0931

Follow Ups: