Re: Tuba Orchestral Rep. book with CD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Christian Carichner on April 08, 2003 at 12:18:23:

In Reply to: Tuba Orchestral Rep. book with CD posted by FSUTubaPlayer (Mike) on April 08, 2003 at 12:04:20:

I have recently been discovering that this book is excellent for getting the basic idea of an excerpt. However, there are several glaring mistakes in this book. Massive loud WRONG notes are not probably something to be looked favorably upon in an audition (check out the bruckner 4 mvt. 4 excerpt. definitely should be a c flat. there are also several ommissions of parts of the excerpts. I would recommend the torchinsky books just because they are real parts. Also this book is often incorrect in its measure numbers. I think the best idea would be to find the real parts and if you really want to hear them by gene pokorny's cd of excerpts. They are quite good interpretations of the excerpts. I'm not sure what the cd for the other book sounds like however, but my guess would be it's recorded in a "german" style of playing that may or may not be what the audition committee is looking for.
let me know if you have more questions.
christian

Follow Ups: