Re: tastes great...or great taste?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on April 07, 2003 at 10:41:27:

In Reply to: tastes great...or great taste? posted by Kenneth Sloan on April 05, 2003 at 23:52:52:

If other than a beginner, choose your own. Unless your teacher is your identical twin, the same instrument will play differently for you than for your teacher.
I haven't had a teacher when I chose tubas....but when buying my horn, I took it around to my teacher. She hated it, and actually laughed at me when I told her what I was paying for it. I bought it anyway; it was far and away the easiest horn to play I had had my hands on. My teacher was an old 8D person, and anything that responded differently from that was sort of unplayable from her point of view.
She did change her tune a year or so later when she found out that Phil Myers of the NY Phil also played this brand of horn.....
And I love mine; I could play another brand of horn, but I still like mine for the same reasons as I bought it in the first place five or six years ago. I also like how it sounds on recordings, so I guess I did ok.
MA

Follow Ups: