Re: Re: Re: Re: tastes great...or great taste?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on April 06, 2003 at 13:30:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: tastes great...or great taste? posted by watcha playing? on April 06, 2003 at 09:29:14:

' borrowing a Willson 3050 and have played it extensively since January.

' just as some folks claim..."stiff", "lack of feedback" (at first).

Now, it feels like a good old pair of shoes and, hey, I never have to mess with any slides but #5 (low range - "b" keys vs. "#" keys)...' love the sound it gives me.

In another thread, you might see where I asked Scott Mendoker about the big rotary Buescher at Dillons - asking for tone/response characteristics compared to a W-3050 and a MW-2165. I also recently played a 2165 with a very good scale...' more mellow than W-3050 - very nice sound on the MW-2165 with a lot of 12th partial in the sound (I like that.)...not quite as easy to make the low range jump out.

I've just about decided that

- To most listeners (even those one would think of as "critical" listeners) a "big" tuba sound is a "big" tuba sound is a "big" tuba sound. The subtile sound characteristics are really a matter of taste, and far more important than "that particular sound" (that many claim is "everything") on a contrabass tuba are (1) its scale and (2) ease of low range response. The "sound" of any good contrabass tuba will become that of its owner soon enough.

Follow Ups: